Why should you adopt?
There are many reasons why you should choose adopting over buying a dog. However, in our opinion, the most important reason is that you will be saving a life. In fact, you will be saving more than one life because by adopting you will be making room for the rescue from which you are adopting to save another dog.
Our Adoption Process
We want to ensure each and every one of our dogs goes to an excellent home so we have a very thorough adoption process. Here is a brief overview of what you can expect when applying to adopt a FTTF dog:
1. Adoption Application – After you submit your application, it will be assigned to a volunteer on our application team. This volunteer will reach out to you to confirm we have received your application, and handle the processing and review of your application. You can find our adoption application here.
2. Review – Your application is reviewed by our application team and board. This includes vet check, reference check and property ownership verification or landlord approval. We not only take into consideration your history as a responsible pet owner but if the dog(s) for which you have applied may a good fit for you. If we feel the fit isn’t right, we will let you know and make some suggestions of other dogs which may work.
3. Meet & Greet – Meet your potential new dog! This step can happen at adoptions or sometimes during the home visit. Think of it like a very casual first date to see if you want to move forward with the relationship. If you currently have dogs or other pets, we do not recommend doing dog introductions at adoption events as that environment is already stressful for many dogs. Dog introductions should be done carefully in a neutral environment.
4. Home Visit – Once your application is approved, the next step is a home visit. Your home doesn’t have to be spotless and it is totally okay if it looks like you live there! We just want to ensure it will be a safe environment for your new dog and you are prepared for your new addition.
5. Foster-to-Adopt – If your home check is approved and you are ready to welcome your new family member, the next step is to start your foster-to-adopt. During the FTA, you will essentially be fostering the dog for FTTF. It helps you and the dog get to know each other and make sure your new dog is right for your family. We will provide food, preventatives and any other medications needing during that time. The $300 adoption fee is due at the start of FTA but is refundable in the event you decide it is not working out and you do not want to proceed with the adoption. FTA typically lasts around two-weeks.
6. Finalization – The last and best step! You love your foster dog and want it to be part of your family forever! You meet us at adoptions or we come to your home to fill out the adoption contract and some other paperwork, including the microchip registration. If you are not local, we can also mail you your folder with information on which forms to return to us. Once the adoption is finalized, we give you all of your dog’s records and it is officially yours!